Friday, October 18, 2013

Polks dots and Pumpkins

Last year I had this wonderful idea of decorating our entryway with a huge spider web, little spiders, and pumpkins.  I saw a chevron painted pumpkin on pinterest and it looked easy enough.  I decided to make it and blog about it.  Do you all remember that blog?  No?  Well, that’s because it never happened because it was so horrible!  I taped my pumpkin and went a bit crazy with the spray paint.  I didn't quite understand the concept of many light layers and instead sprayed a lot all at once.  The result was a sticky mess of a chevron wannnabe pumpkin.  I ended up painting the entire thing white to disguise the failed chevron and a couple weeks later we started noticing a horrible smell.  It was the decaying scent of my white pumpkin.  I think it decayed so fast because of the very thick coat of spray paint combined with the sun.  I wrote it off as an epic fail and gave up on my Martha Stewart-like front porch.  I had also put up lights and the web but I just wasn't feeling it.

This year I decided to have another go at it, but without a chevron pumpkin.  Over the course of a week I collected a bunch of different types and sizes of pumpkins.  On Sunday Coconut and I went outside armed with glue, glitter, paint, and our pumpkins.  I've seen the mess glitter makes and I figured the outdoors could benefit from some extra sparkle. 

I painted polka dots on various pumpkins using Martha Stewart’s rose gold paint and foam pouncers.  Gold and polka dots have been catching my eye so I was smitten with these. 



This one was so pretty I put it on our coffee table.  I think it’s so pretty with the long stem too.




And then came the messy part.  I glittered some pumpkins, starting with gold glitter and moving on to a greenish glitter.  I used Martha Stewart glitters as well.  I love how fine the glitter is and the colors are really beautiful.  If you haven’t caught on yet, I really really like most of the Martha Stewart crafting products and it seems like every store is selling them these days.

I glittered some stripes using the pumpkin’s natural lines.



Tried an ombre effect that didn’t quite pan out due to sticky glue fingers.



And just covered others.  This green one is Mr. C’s favorite.  I think it’s because of the color and not because of all that glitter.



This one to the left of the pot was lightly brushed with gold glitter and a touch of gold paint.



And here’s the end result!  It’s exactly what I wanted!  We strung some purple, orange, and white LED lights around the door, put up the biggest spider I've ever seen (scared me to death when I forgot and opened the blinds), strung the web in a more fitting spot, and I hung up the wreath I made last year. 





Sources: Orange metal pots- Marshalls, Large spiderLarge spider web, and other spiders- Pier One, Wreath- DIY’d, Hay bale- Joannes, Lights- Target.

No comments:

Post a Comment