Sunday, October 27, 2013

Halloween Mantle Scarf


I saw this mantle scarf at Pier One and knew it would be the perfect addition to my Halloween mantle, however they were out of stock when I went into the store and I thought I could probably make my own.  My fabric was all on sale and although I'm not sure of my final project cost, it was definitely cheaper to make.  The time invested was more than I thought, but I love the outcome and loved that I was able to pick my own colors/patterns.

Photo Source: Pier One


Let me begin by saying that I am definitely not a sewing expert.  For most of the things I do I don’t have much of a pattern except what I make up, and I just make things up as I go.  I’m sure there’s an easier way than this, but it’s seemed to work well for me.  So, if you’re expecting technical sewing terms you definitely won’t find any in this post!  But, if I can do this, then anyone can!  I will say that the triangles look great, but the part on the mantle definitely has a bit of a homemade look, but that part is hidden and I figure perfection is overrated :)



Here's what you need:

-sewing machine 
-1/4 yard of 3 fabrics of varying color/patterns
-1 yard (or so) of a solid color fabric for 2 triangles, backing, and the section that sits on the mantle
-black thread
-cutting mat and rotary tool (scissors work too, but the rotary tool is amazing)
-pins
-iron

For my triangles I chose to do 2 sparkly orange with a web pattern, 2 sparkly purple, 3 black with orange polka dots, and 2 plain black. 

I began by cutting my triangles and black backing by using the following measurements

Smaller triangles (orange and purple) - 8" wide x 14" long
Medium triangles (black) - 8" x 16"
Large triangles (black with orange polka dots) - 8" x 18"
***remember to cut backing of the same size for all of these**

I then pinned each triangle to the backing of the same size.  You want the "good" sides of the fabric facing inward so it looks like the triangle is backwards.  Pin.  Somehow I managed to not poke myself with a pin during this entire project.  That's a miracle in itself.



Now it's time to start sewing.  I sewed the angled sides and left the top of the triangles open.  After sewn, turn them inside out (which brings the "good" fabric on the outside).  I had to use scissors to push the ends of the triangle out.
Then I ironed the triangles so the edges were crisp and wrinkles gone.
Then I lined up the triangles in the pattern I wanted and cut a plain black piece of fabric a couple inches longer on each side (I don't have an exact measurement for this since it will depend on the pattern you lay out).  I then measured the width - my mantle is 7” wide so I cut the black piece of fabric about 6” wide, but again this depends on your personal preferences and mantle.
Hem a long edge of the fabric.
Then I pinned the top of the medium and large triangles onto the hemmed side of the fabric and sewed them on in a line.  

I added the second row of the small triangles, pinned, and sewed. 

You could just finish the ends of the black piece and be done, but I ended up folding the other unhemmed edge under so it met the edge of where I had sewn the triangles, turning the corners in, and sewing that all together.  Everything looked more finished this way and the part on the mantle was a bit sturdier. 
Here’s the end result!  I love it!


And here’s my favorite little painted pumpkin.  It still makes me smile everytime I see it!


Did you decorate or paint any pumpkins for Halloween? 

2 comments:

  1. I think I'm going to make mine reversible. Halloween on 1 side and Fall on the other. That way I get 2 seasons out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cute! You did a great job! I'm not much of a seamstress but I might have to try making one of these. Thanks for posting about how amazing yours turned out!

    ReplyDelete