Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Strawberry, Apple, & Walnut Salad


I’ve always been a believer that the dressing makes the salad.  Mr. C used to tell me that he didn’t like salads that much.  I’m pretty sure he said that because he was sick of me making the SAME salad over and over again.  I’d put the same veggies in and used the same bottled dressing.  It was unoriginal and never had that fresh taste I was always searching for.  Does this sound familiar? 

That was before I discovered this wonderful combination for a salad and a simple dressing that has become my go-to dressing for most salads.



Salad Ingredients:
Lettuce – I like the baby spring mix but you can use anything
Strawberries
Green apple
Walnuts
Salt and Pepper

Dressing:
Olive Oil (I use light tasting but anything works)
Balsamic Vinegar (you want a good quality one.  I use Rachel Ray’s brand which I really like)
Sugar or sweet fruit juice (pineapple, etc.)

(The recipe is also listed at the end of this post for easier viewing/printing)

This is my favorite combo, but of course you can switch out the strawberries for raspberries or add mango and the green apple for a red  apple, grapes,or a pear.  Anything works!  You can also add some feta cheese or blue cheese (sounds odd but tastes great) if you have some.

Wash your lettuce and dry thoroughly.  I've heard some icky stuff about that bagged lettuce so I make sure I always wash mine.  I invested in a salad spinner that I use ALL the time.   If you find yourself making lots of salads you might want to consider this.

Place the lettuce in a large serving bowl and salt and pepper it.  You just want a little to give it flavoring so don’t go crazy.  I should also mention that I don’t really measure the lettuce.  My measuring consists of a handful for each person or so which ends up being pretty close to a cup.  I usually try to make enough that I can use all of the green apple so it doesn’t go bad.  It’s great for lunch the next day – just make sure you take out what you want to eat the next day BEFORE you toss with dressing, otherwise it will be wilty the next day.  Why is spellcheck saying that wilty isn’t a word? 



Wash and slice your strawberries.  I like mine a bit larger in the salad but anything goes. Throw these in the bowl.  I tend to put a lot of fruit in the salad but you can adjust as needed.  No measurements for that - just go with your gut!

Slice your apple into chunks.  I use an apple corer/slicer and then just slice the slices into chunks.  Do you think I used the word “slice” enough?  Make sure you eat a slice too just because that's only right :)  Throw the rest in the bowl.



I like the walnuts a bit smaller so I just crumble them in my hand  and toss them in the bowl.  Don’t mind my weird looking hand that’s in desperate need of a polish update.



Now for the dressing.  Are you paying attention?  Here’s where it gets serious.  You mix together equal parts of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  Then you add in a little sugar or fruit juice.  I mostly use sugar because it’s easy and I’m typically trying to make the dressing while I attempt to not burn whatever is on the stove.  I don’t have a set amount of sugar/juice, but if I use ½ c. olive oil and ½ c. balsamic vinegar then I’ll typically use something like 1 tsp. sugar.  Wisk this all together and taste by dipping a piece of lettuce in.  The sugar or juice helps balance the balsamic vinegar and makes the dressing well rounded….just like it went to college.  Well-rounded….get it?  Nevermind.  If you're not much of balsamic vinegar person you can use half as much balsamic vinegar as you did oil (ex. 1/2 c. oil and 1/4 c. balsamic vinegar) and that tastes pretty good as well.



Wisk the dressing until combined.  Toss lettuce mixture with dressing and serve.  You don’t need much dressing so I just add a tablespoon at a time until I’m satisfied.

The dressing lasts up to a week in the fridge.  Keep in mind that the olive oil will solidify in the fridge so you need to take it out about 30 minutes before you plan to use it.

That’s it! 





Strawberry, Apple, & Walnut Green Salad

Salad Ingredients
Lettuce (spring mix recommended)
Strawberries, sliced
Green apple, cored and chopped into large chunks
Walnuts
Salt  & Pepper

Dressing
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Sugar or sweet fruit juice such as pineapple or orange

1.     Wash and dry lettuce.  Place in large serving bowl.  Lightly salt and pepper lettuce and toss to mix.

2.     Slice strawberries into bite sized pieces.  Core and slice green apple.  Add desired amount of fruit to lettuce.

3.     Crumble walnuts (or leave whole) and add to salad

4.     In a small bowl combine equal parts olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  Wisk together.  Add sugar or fruit juice by ½ t. at a time to taste, whisking each time sugar or juice is added. 
    




No comments:

Post a Comment