Sunday, January 1, 2012

Christmas 2011


I can’t really say it’s been a busy week, because it hasn’t been my typical normal type of busy.  I’ve been busy enjoying my time off and didn’t get a chance to post about Christmas yet so on New Year’s Eve I’m finally posting my Christmas update!

We flew in to NE the afternoon of Christmas Eve so by the time we actually got home it was time for the festivities to start.  Christmas Eve is usually pretty laid back and this year was no different.  My mom, Mr. C, and I had chicken noodle soup while my dad ate his smelly oyster stew.  I love Christmas Eve soup.   Nothing special, but it’s amazing.  It must be the magic of Christmas Eve that makes it taste so good :)

We passed out the gifts and enjoyed watching everyone’s reactions as they opened them.  Unfortunately my mother and I weren’t too photogenic while this was happening and my dad has this fear of cameras soooo you don't get many photo of us!



Mr. C loved the math sayings I framed for him.




Oscar the cat quickly became exhausted from all the excitement.





Hannah loved her expensive gift of a box.



In the end we surveyed the damages and decided the next time we’d have a garbage bag ready for trash.  Although I really enjoy picking out gifts the best, I really loved mine this year.  I got some great cooking stuff I’d been wanting, a beautiful scarf, a thoughtful ring, a sparkley bracelet, and even some practical stuff!



Because we flew in later than usual we didn’t make it to church Christmas Eve and went Christmas Day instead.  The service was great, but I really missed the songs and story from the Christmas Eve service.  The meaning was still there though and we celebrated Jesus’ birth with a lot of singing.  I enjoyed seeing some people I hadn’t for awhile and the feel of the small church.   It just felt like home.

My brother, sister-in-law, and my three nieces came over Christmas Day.  This is when we usually have our big meal, but this year we had sloppy joes and a bunch of sides.  At first I wasn’t too sure about that, but it ended up working out great.  We didn’t spend all day cooking and we had more time to just enjoy being together. 

It was fun watching the girls open their gifts and we were lucky enough to get to play with some of them after.  I mean um…they played with them.  We got Simon Flash and haven’t really stopped playing with it since then….it’s been preventing us from going to bed at a reasonable hour actually, but it’s really addicting!  We were also extra lucky this year and got to see my cousin, her husband, and their very cute new baby.  It was so nice spending time with family.



Our new tradition has been to go to the movies on Christmas, however due to poor planning about how early we’d need to arrive we gave up on the movie out when we saw the line.  After driving around to look at lights I slipped on my new PJ’s and slippers, grabbed some homemade apple cider while my dad made popcorn, and we all watched The Help together.  It was a great ending to a wonderful day.

We didn't have a white Christmas this year, but I was just grateful we got to spend Christmas in Nebraska.  I'm very thankful our Arizona family doesn't mind sharing us for Christmas and thankful that we have loved ones in Nebraska that make our Christmases so special.  I hope you had a wonderful Christmas, surrounded by family, friends, and whatever makes you happiest.  

No comments:

Post a Comment