Monday, April 29, 2013

Fabric Flower Wreath


I have a bit of a wreath obsession.  I recently realized I didn’t have one for spring/summer which is of course a huge problem.  I’ve been itching to make one of those yarn wreaths that have been popping up all over pinterest and I figured this was a great opportunity for that. 



Here’s what you’ll need:
-foam wreath form
-yarn
-felt scraps
-fabric scraps (I used a combo of scraps and some quilting squares you can usually pick up for around $2)
-buttons for the center of the flowers
-hot glue gun



Wrap the form completely in yarn.  I did this while watching TV and it went pretty quick.  To start, I looped the yarn around and tied a knot, continued wrapping, and when I finished I tied another knot in the back of the wreath.

For the flowers you’ll need to cut out 8 equal circles for the base and 8 smaller circles for the center (I used a stencil, but as long as your fabric is semi-circle shaped that’s just fine).  You can cut more or less circles, depending on how full you want your flower.  You’ll also need a small felt circle.  The felt acts as your base so you just need it large enough to be able to glue the tips of the base petals on.


For each circle, fold it in half, then half again.  You just glue this onto the felt circle.  Mine halfway overlapped since I used 8 circles.  Repeat with the second set of circles and finish with a pretty button on top.  When I was finished I glued inside some of the “petals” as necessary.









For each circle, fold it in half, then half again.  You just glue this onto the felt circle.  Mine halfway overlapped since I used 8 circles.  Repeat with the second set of circles and finish with a pretty button on top.  When I was finished I glued inside some of the “petals” as necessary.

I varied the size of my three flowers but you can really do whatever floats your boat.

I chose to pin my flowers onto the wreath so I can swap them out as the seasons change, but you could also glue it if you’d prefer.



That’s it!  It would be pretty to hang with a piece of burlap or ribbon too.

No comments:

Post a Comment