Thursday, April 25, 2013

Dishwasher Detailing


Just try to keep your socks on for this super exciting post today.  Today’s post is all about…..(drumroll)……cleaning your dishwasher!  Did you like that suspense?  You might be thinking “who the heck cleans their dishwasher, doesn’t it clean itself?  Has Mrs. C lost her mind”?  The short answer is no, I have not lost my mind.

I started to notice that the glasses were coming out of the dishwasher with food stuck to the bottom of them.  Typically I noticed this when I was halfway done with my water and finally realized there was icky stuff in my glass.  One day I had enough and decided it was time to clean our dishwasher.  Here’s what I did:

1. Check the bottom of the dishwasher to ensure there’s nothing blocking the drain.

2. Pour 1 cup of vinegar in a dishwasher safe measuring cup/bowl and set it on the top rack.  The dishwasher should be empty except for this.



3. Run a full cycle on the hottest setting (I find that it helps to run the sink water until it’s hot – I know, not super eco-friendly- before I start the dishwasher)

4. Once the cycle has finished, wipe down the inside of the dishwasher, including the bottom.  Be careful to avoid burning yourself on the heating element.

That’s it!  I was shocked at how clean my dishes have been since then.  The glasses come out sparkly clean now and it was so simple I wish I had tried it earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment