Tuesday, April 30, 2013

April Loves of the Month


Somehow it’s the end of April already.  Here in Phoenix that means that our air conditioners have been on for a bit, and in other parts of the country, such as Nebraska, that means that it may snow tomorrow.  Crazyness.  I would love some of that cold air to come here and in return I’d be willing to share some of our heat :)  If only it worked that way!

Since it’s the end of April that also means it’s time for my loves of the month - my favorite music, movies, books, or anything else that I think everyone should know about because it’s just so darn amazing.

Based on a recommendation, I read Mindy Kaling’s (from the Mindy Project and The Office “Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)” and I loved it.  It’s a very quick read and full of random, funny stories.  It was right up my alley.  I told Mr. C I had plenty of weird, random, funny stories and maybe I should write a book like this.  He politely informed me that no one would read it.  Ha!

Mr. C and I checked out the movie “Homerun” this past weekend and loved it.  Although it’s partially about baseball, the movie is more about family, dealing with the past and forgiving even when it seems impossible.   The movie is from a Christian perspective and had a really great message.  The acting was a bit cheesy in a few parts, but overall it was a great movie and definitely one I’d recommend seeing and supporting in the theatre.

Sara Bareilles is one of my all-time favorite artists.  Her songs are always unexpected, anything but cliché, and her voice is natural and beautiful.  Her songs have a great message and since hearing one of her hits years ago, “Love Song”, about her refusal to sell out to the pop scene by just writing a catchy song, I’ve been a huge fan.  I’ve never been disappointed by her music, and her new single, “Brave”, does not disappoint.  You can check out the music video here (also a great music video).

Fossil Collective is my favorite album of the month.  One of their songs was free on itunes and after one listen I was hooked.  The album is mellow and original.  If you haven’t figured it out by now I’m mostly an alternative girl and I like albums with some substance that I can play straight through without getting bored.  This album was just that for me.

…However I’m also loving ZZ Ward’s album.  I really tried to just pick one, but I couldn’t!  I originally fell in love with her song, “Put the Gun Down” which is a perfect song to blast with the windows open (if you were wondering).  While I love the entire album, “Til the Casket Drops”, “Last Love Song”, and “Lil Darlin” are a few of the songs I find myself repeating the most.

Did you find any amazing books, movies, or songs/albums this month?  If so I’d love to hear about them!  We have an upcoming trip and I really need a great book for the flight.



No comments:

Post a Comment