Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Eva Longoria, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Pizza






I think what they say about the busiest people being the most productive is very true.  Or maybe it’s something about being the best at time management… or something like that.  When I was in grad school, working full-time, and trying to have a personal life at the same time I was so productive that it was crazy.  My calendar was packed full of notes and I knew what I needed to be doing and when I should be doing it.  Now my calendar is a little less packed but I somehow I seem to be less productive!  To be fair, I’m sleeping way more than I have in the past couple years and getting more than 5-6 hours of sleep is simply amazing.

So what have I been doing with all my newfound time?  First, I’ve been cooking more than ever and trying new (mostly healthy) recipes.  I love cooking when I have the time to really devote to it.  Luckily, our new kitchen has more counter space for me to fill with dirty dishes.  Plus, I beat Mr. C home most nights this summer and I have to admit that I enjoy having dinner ready for him, as anti-feminist as that may sound.

There are a few things that have made me enjoy my cooking all the more lately and I’m sure you’re just dying to know.  Right? 

First, I love cookbooks because they are full of possibilities.  Although I usually feel the need to tweak a recipe a bit, cookbooks give me ideas I never would have thought of.  Every now and then I get lucky and find a recipe that’s perfect just the way it is.  I LOVE Eva Longoria and when I heard she had cookbook;(yes, she has a cookbook!) I ordered it within about a minute (literally, I'm that fast on Amazon).  I’ve made quite a few things from it and they have all been in a word, amazing.  I hate cookbooks that call for some ridiculous ingredient you’ve never heard of that you’ll never use again so I’m really enjoying the realisticness of this book.  Like my new word? :)  I also recently purchased Gwyneth Paltrow’s cookbook;which is also really great, although it’s a little more adventurous.  Her blueberry muffin recipe is to die for though.  I could eat those muffins for the rest of my life.

As if the books weren’t enough to get me in the kitchen, Mr. C bought me a cookbook stand for Christmas that I’d been eyeing for awhile and it’s been getting quite a bit of use as well.  It’s still available from Crate and Barrel and I highly recommend it, even if you just want to make it LOOK like you cook! 


So all this cooking got me thinking that maybe I should share some of my favorite recipes.  So, here's my first blog recipe!  Although it might not be as amazing as Eva or Gwen’s, this usually makes an appearance a few times a month.  These mini pizzas are super easy to throw together, cook in under 10 minutes, and are pretty darn healthy (depending on what you put on them).

Mini Pizzas

Tortillas (I buy the low carb ones)
Pizza Sauce
Shredded Cheese
Dried Italian Seasoning
Crushed Red Peppers
 Toppings – pepperoni, onions, olives, mushrooms, green peppers, tomatoes, ham, pineapple, etc.

Lay out the tortillas on a pizza tray or cookie sheet.  I think it’s much easier to assemble on the tray than try to transfer later. 

Spread on pizza sauce while making sure to leave a little crust. 

Layer your favorite toppings.  If we’re having pepperoni I start with that, and then whatever veggies we have that night. 



Sprinkle Italian seasoning and crushed red peppers over everything and then top with cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 7-10 minutes , depending on how crispy you want the crust.  The cheese should be melted and bubbly.  Enjoy!



While I may not be as productive as I was, I think Mr. C agrees that the new routine is pretty awesome. I've also been making time to watch TV, think about cleaning the house, read, and think about working out.  See what I mean about not really being productive? 

As a side-note that's just vaguely related to my original ramblings about productivity - apparently the French work the least (quantity-wise anyhow) and are the most productive.  This looks like my next move.  I could totally see myself in a little French villa sipping wine and eating whatever it is they eat while enjoying the afternoon and my above average salary.

Please let me know if you'd like to see more recipies by voting in the poll on the side of the page.  Perhaps you prefer my normal ramblings instead :)

1 comment:

  1. Sure I love recipes and pictures to go along with them. Very helpful!
    I'm glad you are taking time to slow down a bit. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete