Thursday, April 14, 2011

The dramas of shopping with men

Mr. C and I recently took a trip to The Container Store.  If you haven’t been there, The Container Store is simply amazing.  It’s super organized and has the most beautiful closets ever.  Well, they aren’t real closets…they’re samples of how great your closet could look if you shop with them.  It’s almost like heaven for me. 

Mr. C and I talked about selling some of our bedroom furniture we’ve outgrown and getting new stuff that fits in our house when we actually buy a house.  I figured that we should start finding something to keep our clothes in during the transition period between dressers since it’ll be a good 6 months, if not more.  Enter The Container Store. 

We walk into the store and I can already tell that Mr. C is not as excited as I am (shocking I know).  As I begin pointing out all the amazing products in the store he shoots me a look of boredom before asking me to focus and reminding me why we’re there.  What he doesn’t understand is that there might be some amazing product out there I didn’t know about that I could discover on this trip!  We finally find the plastic drawers I had been looking for.  As I examine them and decide which color would be best, he looks at the price ($16.50), gasps, and asks me if I’m crazy.  He then proceeds to tell me that he is NOT paying that much for plastic drawers and he will find his own storage.  To his credit, they were pricey, BUT I checked Target and those were just as bad (Yes, I do know there are more stores than Target)!  We walk down the aisles and search for other options.  Upon finding none, he proudly tells me that he’ll just keep his clothes in crates.  I figure I’ve got him now because I know he is clueless about the price of crates in this store.  I happily offer to walk him to the crates where I point out the $10 price tag.  He does something dramatic again and then turns around to find a $5 tub.  He tells me that he will use these tubs because they’re much more realistically priced.  Unfortunately for him he had failed to realize that those $5 tubs had no lids.  Well, they didn’t have full lids anyhow.  They had little flaps that really only functioned for stacking purposes.  He practically yelled at the top of his lungs, “where’s the rest of the lid?!?”.  At this point the sales people really thought we were weird….and probably figured we were not buying anything.  This conversation officially ended when Mr. C told me he had decided to use the floor because it's FREE.  I'm super looking forward to living in an apartment where the floor is the only means of storage.  Score for me.

We wandered down some more aisles and he stopped to play with the trash cans.  I found one that was motion sensored and told Mr. C that mine was cooler than the one he was currently playing with.  He walked over to argue with me, realized that it was motion sensored and his eyes lit up.  I think he even gasped again.  Every single time we walked by the trash can he had to wave his hand over the motion thing. We walked by at least five more times.  I think three of those times we were walking by just to visit the trash can.  I felt like I was with a toddler.  At least it would be acceptable to put a leash on a toddler though.

I realized then he was not only a lost cause but he was also totally embarrassing me.  I figured it was time to leave and we began walking towards the door.  That’s when I realized he was no longer next to or behind me.  Of course he wasn’t, he was in the bungee chairs bouncing up and down with a huge grin on his face.  Awesome.  I should have known.

No comments:

Post a Comment