Thursday, December 1, 2011

Black Friday Love

I’m sorry I’m a bit late in my Black Friday post, but it’s been an extra busy week! I got some understanding/inspirational/thankful/loving/all-around-good feedback from the previous post and I’m still happy with my decision to post and that I FINALLY wrote something. The previous few posts had been written ones I had “banked” but never posted, so the last post was truly the last writing I’ve done for much too long. I’m getting back into writing though (FINALLY!) and should be posting like mad soon. Or just regularly maybe?
I LOVE Black Friday. One year Mr. C and I decided to stop at Target quick for a Christmas tree and luggage set before taking off for California on Black Friday. Our quick trip wasn’t really that quick as you can probably imagine. That was our first Black Friday and we’ve been going ever since (having learned much from that first one). I used to go out the day after Christmas because everything holiday related is 50% off and you really can’t beat that. I’d make a list and strategize where I was going once the doors opened. Mr. C would get the cart and I’d take off to load my arms up with stuff until he got there. It was the best. But then Black Friday happened….and it was even better.
I love how excited people get and the ridiculousness of it all. Of course I also love the deals! We’ve never bought anything huge like a TV or the things you hear people break out in riots over. Usually we’re looking for movies and maybe a couple gifts. This year we bought flannel sheets (which I’m loving because that means I don’t have to crawl into a cold bed), a throw I’d been eying, a couple kitchen products that were uber cheap, a flash drive, and some gifts I of course can’t mention on here! Nothing big though, and it wouldn’t have been the end of the world if we didn’t get it on sale. We missed out on an external hard drive because we just couldn’t bear to wait in the long line at Best Buy.

This year was a bit weird due to stores opening at midnight.  It actually worked better for us because once I'm asleep it's not too fun to wake me up at 3am so I can go shop.  NOTHING sounds too important to me at 3am once I'm snuggled in my bed.  It was a big magical though to see the huge crowds out and about, shopping as if it was a Saturday afternoon when in fact it was 2am.
Following tradition, we waited in the Target line. I LOVE target. I love the atmosphere when everyone is waiting in line, joking around and keeping each other company. We heard multiple horror stories of the scene at Walmart hours earlier and how the cops were called. THAT is the part of Black Friday I do not like, or understand.

When the doors opened everyone was fairly calm. When I was stuck on one side of never-ending carts and Mr. C was on the other (think of it as being on opposite cliffs with a huge drop in the middle), a nice man stopped, smiled, and let me sneak through. This is the kind of Black Friday shopping I enjoy. It’s a bit crazy, but people are still decent. They don’t push each other down or pepper spray anyone, and everyone talks to complete strangers while waiting in line to pay.
After Target stop #1 we went to IHOP for the best breakfast ever. My extreme hunger may be what caused me to think it was SO amazing, but seriously it was great. We hit another Target (stop #2 out of 7 stops in 2 days in case you were wondering…we have bad memories and had to keep returning for like one thing every time or trying a different location), Best Buy, and then rested up before heading out later. It was a very odd feeling day but so much fun! I hope you got everything you were looking for without encountering any pepper spray!

No comments:

Post a Comment