Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Oh Relationships

Relationships take a lot of work.  In the beginning, whether it’s a friendship or a romantic relationship, it’s easy.  Or, it’s supposed to be easy.  If it’s not easy in the beginning I think that’s usually a bad sign!  After awhile though, the honeymoon stage ends, life gets in the way and making time for each other becomes a little harder. At times it feels like everyone is playing tug-of-war with your limbs, each one being pulled in a different direction. 

At some point you make a decision.  Either you put in the effort or you don’t.  Either you’re there through thick and thin or you’re not.  Either it’s a two-way street or it’s not.  Either way, a decision is made.  It may not be a conscious decision but it’s a decision nevertheless.  Maybe it’s the choice to post big news online for everyone instead of calling a friend directly.  Maybe it’s the choice to simply stop making dinner plans together.  Maybe it’s the choice that there’s just not enough time to talk.  Maybe it’s the choice to let the distance win.  Maybe it’s the choice to avoid the hard times when you’re needed most.

With thoughts of moving on my mind, I’ve been thinking about friends lately, those I’ve made since I moved to AZ and those I’ve lost. Losing a friend is hard; it leaves an empty void that is not easily filled.  Each friend brings something different to the table and they all seem to fit together to complete a puzzle of niches.  I have friends I know will be there at 3am, friends that always make me smile, friends that are great at just listening, shopping friends, friends that call me on my crap, and friends that just understand. 

I know it will be hard to leave (assuming everything works out) but I also think of the amazing friends I’ve made and the ones I still have yet to meet. Some friends were there for only a short time and made an impression in my life they will never know. It is hard to imagine not seeing a friend at work for our morning tradition, not meeting my grouping sister on Saturday morning, not dropping in on my mother-in-law as we drive by, or not being able to grab lunch with women who make me laugh until it hurts. I found this quote online and I think whoever wrote it was trying to sum up my thoughts -  “Moving on is simple, what you leave behind that makes it difficult”.

So, thank you to all my friends who have changed my life for the better.  You are the ones who have inspired me, encouraged me, kept me sane, listened to me complain, cry, and scream with happiness.  We live in a fast paced world where we don’t always remember to tell everyone how much they mean to us.  So, if today is it I want you to know that you’re amazing and I’m so glad you’ve been a part of my life.

"If we discovered that we had only 5 minutes left to say what we wanted to say, every telephone booth would be occupied by people calling other people to stammer that they loved them." 
-Christopher Morley

No comments:

Post a Comment