Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Where my b*$#@*s at?*

*The title of this post was created by Mr. C.  He seemed REALLY excited about it so I just went with it.  If you’d like someone to blame, please direct your comments to him :

The holiday season is a time for appreciating how blessed I am.  This weekend I was reminded of how fortunate I am to have such wonderful people in my life.   I spent time with some friends, my grouping sister (we met at the Walk to Emmaus), and my husband this weekend.  The Christmas season makes me extra mushy so you’re getting a very mushy post today.  Don’t say I didn’t warn you (yes I do know that the title of this post does not convey a mushy message)!

I love the type of friends you can just hang out with.  There doesn’t need to be any specific plans (although that’s helpful) because no matter what it’s fun.  That’s how my high school friends were and I’ve learned since graduating that friends like that are actually pretty hard to come by so I’m glad I was able to snag a few more since the high school friends I stay in touch with are pretty far away.  This weekend was one of those hanging out with friends weekends.  I NEEDED a weekend like this.  I had been so stressed last week that I just needed to relax.  I did have a few school related things I fit in so the weekend wasn’t all relaxing, but overall it was great.

Friday night was spent with someone who has progressed from an acquaintance five years ago to a super close friend now.  I joke that she’s my free therapist but honestly this woman keeps me sane sometimes.  She’s always there to listen and I know she’s always got my back.  We made dinner, then whipped up some cookies, played Mario bros. and drove Mr. C crazy with our lack of coordination during the game.  It was the first night in awhile where I didn’t do anything productive and it was great!

After doing some group work and running around Saturday morning, Mr. C and I spent the late afternoon/evening with one of my college roommates who also happens to be one of our favorite people!  We headed to the mall and ended up hanging out in the kid’s play area.  I should mention that she does have 2 wonderful little boys who were playing so we weren’t being creepy!  We talked and watched the kids who were way more entertaining than I would have imagined.  I think at one point I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes.  I think the other parents thought I was nuts.  We met her husband at Red Robin and got our money’s worth of fries!  All in all, it was a great afternoon/evening.  I then went home and collapsed on the couch.  I made it to bed by 9 that night for some much needed rest. Great day!

Sunday morning we met my mother-in-law at church.  I love that we see her every week.  Normally the three of us do lunch but this week I met my grouping sister after church.  Grouping is basically meant to keep us on track with the changes we made in ourselves during the Walk to Emmaus. My grouping sister and I haven’t been meeting too long – a little over a month now- but I usually look forward to it.  I say usually because some days my bed is very hard to leave but once I’m there then it’s all good!  We always seem to get off topic but it’s okay, that’s part of what makes it so fun. 

After grouping and some shopping I caught up over the phone with a friend from college who’s since moved away.  It was great hearing how her life is going and her future plans.  It seems like we’re always able to pick up where we left off when we talk - something I always marvel at.

Sunday night Mr. C and I had a much needed date night at my most favorite restaurant!  We usually save the Melting Pot for anniversaries; however I decided that we needed an extra nice date this week.  With all the finals stuff, Christmas events, and work I felt like we hadn’t really spent any time together in weeks.  This, I decided, was a requirement for an extra nice date.  I love the food, the quietness, the romantic setting, and the food – did I mention that yet?  It’s just a great place. If we could afford it I’d go there weekly!  Luckily for me we cannot because my pants would not appreciate that after awhile.  It was great though; we enjoyed our food and actually talked!  After heading home, we snuggled up on the couch to watch The Santa Clause 2.  Super cheesy but a great Christmas movie and a great end to a wonderful weekend.

As I was getting ready for bed I thought of how sad I was that the weekend was ending.  But, I also thought of how blessed I was to have such great people in my life.  It’s been said that people come in and out of your life as you need them.  It can be so hard to let some people go, however if I had not done that, I wouldn’t have had anyone I mentioned in this post and I simply can’t imagine life without them now!  So, thank you to all of my wonderful friends and family who are in my life, even if in a small way.  I am truly blessed to have you in my life and I can only hope you feel the same about me!

1 comment:

  1. Two adorable boys and the kids play area at the mall....I'm sure I could guess who that friend is. :)

    ReplyDelete