Sunday, December 26, 2010

Oh Christmas Tree


Although Christmas vacation was supposed to be a relaxing time full of non-excitement, it proved to be much different than planned.  Overall it’s been good, but very eventful and exhausting.  Because of everything going on, blogging was once again neglected.  If my blog was a plant it would have died by now!  Fortunately it’s not and my readers (whoever is left anyhow) are all still around!  I’m assuming you’ve all had your own things going on as well and probably not too much time to be sitting around reading!  I’m a little behind but I’m working on catching up!  Really, I am!  As promised, I finally have another post with pictures!  

Christmas is my all time favorite holiday.  It isn’t even the actual day of Christmas that I love so much but mostly the time leading up to it.  Everyone seems nicer (except AZ drivers), lights and decorations are everywhere, and beautiful songs fill the air.  Christmas is just amazing!  Because I love Christmas sooooo much, I seem to have accumulated a fairly large amount of Christmas decorations.  I'd post pics of them all but I think I'd be uploading all day!



Last year we decided to upgrade from our little $30 tree we had been using for years.  We found one on sale for an unbelievable price and now have a 9 ft. tree.  We paid less for the tree than many of the other 6 ft. ones so we were pretty proud of ourselves!  We’re renting our house until we decide where we want to settle down and now whenever I look at houses I’m concerned about vaulted ceilings to accommodate the tree!   I guess that’s what I get though!  Every year I typically go shopping the day after Christmas and I had built up a pretty big collection of ornaments.  Luckily, this meant that we had plenty to decorate the 9 ft. tree!  That tree is what I call our “pretty tree”.  The ornaments match for the most part and it looks pretty organized and well-thought out.   Getting the star on top is always a little tricky but Mr. C manages pretty well!




We always have a second tree though, and this is the one I love decorating the most. This tree has colored lights and the special ornaments – the ones that are unique and hold sentimental value.  Every year my mom gets me an ornament to represent something that happened that year.  This tree also holds ornaments from my childhood and ones that have been given to us over our years together.   We’ve bought ornaments from Disneyland over the past few visits and these flank the tree as well. I’m thinking we might need a slightly bigger tree because I had to leave off quite a few this year!



Almost every other room in the house is decorated with the exception of the office and guest room.  I feel like I finally had things figured out this year and the decorating was at it’s best! 

My mom always had a Christmas village that I LOVED setting up.  Over the years pieces were added and the decorating became more an more intricate.  I wanted a Christmas village of my own eventually.  A couple years ago we got our first piece for Christmas.  We’ve been adding to it ever since.  I think the Kohl’s employees know us now because we’ve taken advantage of the sales of their village pieces numerous times this month!  We’ve snagged a few display pieces for great prices and have managed to get everything we’ve bought on sale.  We had a lot of fun this year setting the village up, even though it meant moving our fish tank twice (I picked a bad spot the first time so after refilling it with water, we decided it had to be moved a couple days later.  Oops!).  In the end, it was all worth it.




I love sitting on the couch with all the Christmas lights on, the “normal” lights off, candles lit, and Christmas music playing.  There aren’t usually too many of these moments with the hustle and bustle that always occurs in December, but when I get these moments I try my best to enjoy them.  Every year I think that I’ll leave the decorations up for awhile longer to enjoy but then Christmas comes and I’m ready to take them down right away.  I’m thinking it’ll be pretty busy when we get back to AZ so we’ll see how long they actually stay up.  We did manage to overlook one of our mistletoe balls last year and it stayed up for the entire year because we were too lazy to move it and then at a certain point we figured there was no point!  We'll see if we remember to take it down this year :)  Not that Mr. C complained any.....

No comments:

Post a Comment