Thursday, December 16, 2010

Whatever's below the Energizer Bunny. Energy wise anyhow - not actually below physically.

Do you even remember me anymore?  I’ve been pretty crazy busy the past few weeks so I apologize for the lack of writing. I think some days I forgot I even had a blog! Some awesome stuff has happened in the past few weeks so maybe I’ll write about that eventually. Some super non-awesome stuff has also occurred but I will not be writing about that because I don’t want to relive it again and who really wants to read that anyhow?

My mother once told Mr.C that I’m exhausting. Not exhausted but exhaustING. As in, I’m a lot of work to be around. The two of them are constantly amazed at my energy level. If something needs to get done, then it just needs to get done! I do use my Mt. Dew as a sort of power boost. It’s like nitrous for me (the car kind, not the kind they use at the dentist although for the record I LOVE that stuff. It makes the needles oh-so-less-scary)! I’ve also discovered that at a certain point, lack of sleep becomes normal and I’m able to get less and less sleep and more and more done! Unfortunately I’m not the energizer bunny (I'm just whatever's below him on the energizer scale) and at a point I do hit a wall, usually crashing one night and going to bed at a ridiculous hour like 7 pm. One time I actually went to bed at 6 pm. That was just terrible.

Last week was crazy but I feel so free this week (free of homework at least)! I've officially completed my second semester of grad school! That means 12 credits while working 40 hours a week, keeping our house in order, feeding my husband on a semi-regular basis, and trying to have a life! Sometimes I think I do challenging things just to prove to myself that I am capable of succeeding! I also have begun procrastinating which I think is just another attempt to prove to myself that I can still do things (and do them well), even when it seems impossible. The case of my awesome APA formatted 15 page research paper I wrote in one day is a great example of this! The only issue with me doing things like this is that I really have no sympathy for people who complain and really have nothing to back their complaints up with. I definitely buy into the idea that if you’re going to do something then you should do it to the best of your abilities! I do think this leads me to have high standards for everyone around me, something that has proven to not always work out too well.

My advisor told me that taking such a full schedule and working full-time was discouraged. I also love proving people wrong. It makes for some great motivation! Not only have I been fine handling the classes, but I’m also rocking the grades. I’m scared to actually write this and possibly jinx it but I’m hoping for straight A’s this semester. So far I’m halfway there! Apparently my other professors have busy lives and are taking their sweet time with grading final projects and tests.

While the semester was a lot of work, I’m pretty proud of myself. I’m super modest today, can’t you tell? There was a point where I wasn’t sure I was going to make it and considered dropping a class. I know there are plenty of people who think I’m crazy for getting a master’s degree especially when I still don’t know exactly what I’m going to do when I grow up! There are the others that look at me like I’m talking in a different language when I say what the degree is in (M.Ed. in Human Relations in case you’re wondering). It’s like déjà vu because that happened for my Bachelor’s degree too (Design Management – don’t ask!)! I think I’m finally to the point where I really don’t care what these people think! I’m just excited I’ll have my master’s degree at 25. I’ve also learned some amazing things about psychology, child development, and a bunch of other random things! That 15 page paper I wrote was about medical procedures used during childbirth and I can say now that I have a much better grasp of exactly what I want during labor, although we still have some time for that. I should also note that it slightly terrified me. I think I’m just one of those people who loves school (most of the time anyhow).

So anyhow, I guess the point of this post is that I’ve successfully made it through this semester! I wish you all a wonderful 9 more days to prepare for Christmas. We’re flying back to Nebraska in 2 days and I’m elated to be going home. I don’t make it back as often as I’d like so I’m always grateful when I get to see my family for the holidays since I miss them throughout the year. I’m sure I’ll be writing more about that later though. I promise my next post will actually include pictures and won’t take weeks to write!

No comments:

Post a Comment