Friday, February 21, 2014

The Little Things

Today Mr. C and I are celebrating our 6 year wedding anniversary.  I'm not quite sure where the time has gone but when I look back at our wedding photos and our wedding video, it's obvious that we definitely young when we got married.   I love getting thoughtful flowers, jewelry (what girl doesn't?), and a lovey card, but sometimes the little things are the ones that really get you.

I love birds (yes, this is related).  I grew up helping my dad raise exotic birds so I'm not sure if it started then, but there's almost nothing cuter than seeing a little bird hop around (obviously baby pandas win in the cuteness contest but birds are a close second).  Last weekend I took Coconut outside in the morning and saw something bright out of the corner of my eye.  I didn't have my contacts in so everything was a little blurry but I could tell that the bright object was the woodpecker that hung out in our tree frequently. He had a red head, black and brown stripped body, and although he was a bit annoying when he was pecking on the trees on the mornings I could actually sleep in, I always loved seeing him in the yard.  I was so sad.

I asked Mr. C later if he would bury the bird.  We started talking about something else and moved on.  About an hour later he found me and verified that I really wasn't joking about the burial.  To me it just seemed wrong to put him in the trash.  I could tell that Mr. C thought I was nuts, but a few moments later I saw him out back with a shovel, digging away at the very hard ground below the tree the woodpecker frequented.  He buried him without complaining or eye-rolling.  I loved the bouquet of my favorite flowers Mr. C sent me last week, but it was nothing compared to the small, but full-of-love gesture I witnessed Saturday morning.  It really is the little things.

Happy Anniversary Mr.C! I look forward to many, many more, but hopefully no more birdie burials.

No comments:

Post a Comment