Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Lasagna Soup

I made this soup last week and I think it’s now officially my favorite soup, or at least in the top 5.  It was so easy and has so much flavor.  Mr. C thought the concept of lasagna soup was just plain weird, but even he was a fan, and he told me it was even better the second day for leftovers.  If you’re looking for a hearty soup to warm you up, then look no further.  There’s even a cheesy surprise at the bottom of the bowl which just puts this soup over the top.



I do want to mention that the picture shows the leftover soup which was less brothy than the night I made it.  I meant to take a photo the first night we ate the soup but honestly it smelled (and tasted) so good that I got side-tracked and gobbled up my bowl of soup before I realized that I hadn't taken a photo.

The recipe is below and you can also find a printable version here.

Lasagna Soup
Yield: 8 servings
Adapted from: a farmgirl’s dabbles, from the cookbook 300 sensational soups

2 tsp. olive oil
1 lb. sweet Italian sausage
½ lb. ground beef
3 c. chopped yellow onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. dried oregano
½ - 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 T. tomato paste
2 bay leaves
6 c. chicken broth
4 c. pasta (I used campanelle)
½ c. fresh basil leaves, chiffonaide
Salt and pepper, to taste

8 oz. skim ricotta
½ c. grated parmesan cheese
1 c. mozzarella cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste

Heat olive oil in large pot.  Add sausage and beef and brown.

Add onions and cook until softened and translucent, about 6 minutes.  Add garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute.

Add tomato paste, stir well, and cook for 3-4 minutes or until tomato paste turns a rusty brown color. 

Add diced tomatoes, bay leaves, and chicken stock and stir.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare the “cheesy surprise” by mixing the ricotta, parmesan, mozzarella, and salt and pepper in a bowl. 

Add uncooked pasta and cook until al dente (do not overcook pasta).  Remove from heat when pasta is al dente.  Stir in basil and add salt, pepper, and any additional red pepper flakes as needed.

To serve, place a spoonful of the “cheesy surprise” in each bowl before filling with soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment