Thursday, August 15, 2013

Strawberry Spinach Salad


One of my favorite things about the summer is the fresh fruit salads.  I’ve had many strawberry salads over the years but this one is my favorite because of the phenomenal dressing.   Unfortunately I’m not sure of the original source of this recipe; a co-worker got it from another co-worker who I think got it from someone else.  The salad is simple to throw together and it’s typically the dish I get the most complements on when serving it to guests.  I buy the cinnamon roasted almonds at Sprouts (or Trader Joes), but I’ve also made them before using a recipe close to this one.
The nuts need to be made ahead of time if you’re making them instead of buying, but actually mixing the cinnamon mixture is quick; it’s the baking that takes a bit of time.  You can make a big batch though and if you can keep from snacking on them, you'll have them on hand for when you want to throw this salad together.  
I’ve made this before with spring mix and it’s just not the same so I definitely recommend sticking to the spinach.  The spinach is heavy enough that it perfectly balances out the nuts and strawberries without wilting under the weight of the dressing.
The dressing makes a big batch so you can half it or just keep it in the fridge for the week, which is what I do.  When I run out of strawberries, I switch them out for apples or mangoes.



I’m not one for measuring when it comes to salads, except for the dressing.  I start with 3-4 handfuls of spinach (or you can use cups if you want).  Throw in a little salt and pepper and toss it around (in the bowl…don’t want any confusion here..if I’m not specific with Mr. C he’ll do crazy things like start tossing the spinach on the ground).

Here’s another scientific measurement for you; then grab a small handful of the nuts and throw them in.

I go a little overboard on the strawberries sometimes, but hey, no one ever complains.  With the 3-4 handfuls spinach I’d use a pint of strawberries, sliced horizontally because for some reason I swear it tastes better that way. 

As you can see, I don’t have great measurements, but I’ve put some together for you.  I usually throw in a bunch of stuff, mix it up, and then see if I need to add more.



Finish by making the dressing.  You can blend it in a blender, but I like it better whisked.  Put the dressing on right before serving.



 You can get the printable recipe here.

Strawberry Spinach Salad
4 c. (or handfuls) spinach (don’t pack it if you’re using a measuring cup)
1 pt. strawberries, hulled and sliced horizontally
½ c. cinnamon roasted almonds


Poppy Seed Dressing
¼ c sugar
¼ t salt
1 t poppy seed
1 t dry mustard
1 t instant onion powder
1/3 c red wine vinegar
2/3 c olive oil
Whisk dressing or use blender to combine.  Toss with salad right before serving.  Dressing should stay fresh for about a week in the refrigerator. THIS WILL MAKE MORE THAN YOU NEED FOR ONE SERVING.

Place Spinach in large bowl.  Salt and pepper lettuce. Add sliced strawberries and nuts and toss.  Add dressing one tablespoon at a time until salad is lightly coated.

No comments:

Post a Comment