Monday, October 8, 2012

Simple Pumpkin Seeds


Here’s the promised pumpkin seed toasting post.  These are super easy and super addictive.

You’ll need to first separate your seeds from the stringy pulp.  I use my fingers to pick them out, then put in a strainer and wash well.  Let the seeds dry for about 30 minutes or so. 



You can prepare these a bunch of different ways using spices such as melted butter and cinnamon, cayenne pepper, seasoning salt, garlic salt, or just salt and pepper.  There are so many recipes out there, especially all over pinterest.  You can even soak your seeds in apple cider before toasting them for a fallish taste.  I won't even pretend to know the billions of ways to cook pumpkin seeds.  Personally, I like to keep mine very simple and just lightly toss in olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  I don’t use salt on much of anything but I don’t think the seeds taste as good without it.  

I mix everything up directly on the cookie sheet so I don’t waste getting a bowl dirty.  Lightly drizzle the olive oil and toss the seeds.  You can add more later if you need it but it’s better to start with less.  Once you’re happy with that, sprinkle on salt and pepper and toss well to coat.
Cover a baking sheet in foil or parchment paper and lay the seeds out flat.  I reused my “foil bra” from baking the pumpkin to line the cookie sheet.  Reuse and recycle people!



Bake at 300 degrees for about 20-40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.  You’ll want to watch the seeds closely to make sure they don’t burn.  My cooking time seems to vary each time I make them so the key is checking them often to make sure they aren’t over-toasted, otherwise known as burnt to a crisp.  Those aren’t so tasty.  It may be common sense to set a timer for 10 minutes instead of setting the timer for 30 and assuming you’ll remember to check the seeds, but I’m going to just mention it in here for anyone who may have a brain that works like mine.  If I set the timer for 30 minutes I tend to get sidetracked and then remember to check the seeds when there’s about 2 minutes left.  I advise you to learn from my mistake and just set the timer for 10 minutes at a time.

I'm assuming that after reading this post you've all baked up some pumpkins, have exhausted making pancakes, bread, pies, and are looking for something new and exciting, right? If so then you're in luck because later this week I'll be sharing one of my new favorite fall recipes which just happens to put that fresh pumpkin to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment