Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Holy cow, that's a lot of boxes!


I’m back! 

Mr. C and I have been working very hard to get the house unpacked.  It didn’t look like we had so much when everything was in closets and cabinets.  After we moved though, the new house quickly became covered with boxes that barely left a path to walk.   It was a little overwhelming to say the least.

So we’ve been unpacking and working a room at a time.  Last weekend (or maybe the one before?…it’s all blending together now) we finally decided to tackle the living room.  There were boxes everywhere and the couch wasn’t exactly in the best spot.  We have a sectional so it’s a little harder to position than say, a couch and loveseat would be.  We weren’t sure how we wanted to position the sectional but we knew it just wasn’t working the way it was.  We probably discussed our options for a good ten minutes.  At that point we figured we’d just move it and see.  We moved it, identified something we didn’t like about that setup, moved it again, found another problem, and kept going with this routine for about an hour.  Finally we had the couch in a spot we were happy with.  It looked great!  It worked great!  Guess how different it is from the first position. It moved about a foot to the left and is no longer angled in the space.  So basically we spent about an hour moving the couch, only to have it end up in practically the same place.  Awesome.  Great time management!

We’re settled for the most part now.  What’s left are the random boxes neither one of us wants to touch, the stuff that we don’t really want anymore (yes, I know I should have gotten rid of this BEFORE we moved!) and the artwork, frames, etc. that require a little extra work to put away.  These are the boxes that were packed by just throwing in whatever random things I found.  Sounds fun to unpack huh?  That’s what the last few hours of packing resorted to though!   Mr. C’s family was amazing and I think we’d still be moving boxes if he hadn’t helped!  Actually, we had quite a bit of help!  Ms. M helped us move some things the day before the official move and clear out some space so we could actually put the boxes somewhere.  Mr. C’s mom lined all the kitchen and bathroom cabinets for us, and Mr. C’s dad and brother filled and unfilled the U-Haul many times!  It most definitely looks like a home now and we welcomed our first set of non-moving helper houseguests this week. 

This post wouldn’t be complete without sharing my very favorite moving moment. Random? Yes.  Funny?  Very.

I was measuring the windows to see what size curtain rod we needed.  I set the measuring tape down, rambled about something for a minute, and looked over to see Patrick holding the tape measure.  He started measuring me.  I assumed he was seeing how tall I was because I sometimes argue that I’m taller (not true btw).  Then he looked at me with the most serious face and said, “all I measure is sexy” and winked at me.  I started laughing so hard I was crying.  Maybe you had to be there, but it caught me by surprise, and although it was a little flattering it was above all very, very funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment