Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Minnie Mouse and Chocolate Shakes

I LOVE Disneyland and sometimes mistake myself for my 5 year old self when I’m there. I was actually surprised to hear myself loudly and excitedly yell “MINNIE MOUSE!” and then proceeded to point at her and run to get in line. We somehow even convinced my dad to take a picture with us. This was quite a miracle because I can count on one hand the number of photos I have of him.



We began our day with photo ops with Minnie and Goofy. Goofy was not too thrilled with my super sparkly pink Minnie ears. After hugging me (he initiated, not me!) he proceeded to knock my ears off and look disappointed. I apologized for my lack of Goofy gear and figured it would be best to take the photo without the ears at that point. After we were a safe distance away I did proudly put my ears back on and donned them in between rides.

We headed to Space Mountain first, which is always our first stop because it’s just plain awesome. We had given my mom a cliff’s note version of the ride and figured she’d be okay with it. That was NOT the case. Apparently she didn’t like it at all and we don’t really think my dad was a fan either. He doesn’t like to act like things bother him, probably in an attempt to avoid being labeled as a “wuss”, a term I assign as necessary. That was the end of that ride for them! Mr. C and I of course loved it, and ended up riding at least 2-3 more times. While we rode Space Mountain, my parents entertained themselves around the corner with Astro Blasters which is basically a toy story shooting game. My mom said that was more her speed!

At one point we went on a ride, came out, and noticed the ground was wet. I’m thinking we were inside for about 15 minutes so the rain didn’t last too long. Well, there were quite a few people with ponchos. I imagined all these people getting sprinkled on and frantically running to the closest shop for a poncho. Of course, I then proceeded to sort of make fun of these people (not to their faces of course, just to Mr. C and my mom). Fast forward about a half an hour after we had decided that it wasn’t THAT cold and we really didn’t need to get our jackets. About ten seconds later it started misting. And misting….. Then it turned into pouring. That was about the time we ducked into a shop and my dad bought us all our very own stylish ponchos. They were pretty awesome actually, they kept us warmer and not being rained on was a definite plus. Although it was cold and rainy, we didn’t let that ruin our Disneyland excitement! After a few minutes of trying to figure out the tricky ponchos, we set off for more rides, smelling like garbage bags – clean ones though.



The rain eventually soaked through my shoes and in a couple hours I couldn’t feel my toes. This was about the time we decided to eat and take a nap. I kinda get like a little kid when I need a nap (or lunch) and I’m pretty sure I was cranky. After the food and nap I was as good as new and we headed back for some more Disneyland fun. We turned in earlier than normal that night but did everything we wanted. I guess the rain scared everyone off because the lines were SUPER short by the end of the day. I was wondering if I was going to make it back to the hotel before my feet just decided to fall off. Mr. C declined to carry me back. He’s mean like that sometimes. Luckily my feet didn’t fall off though.
Monday morning we woke up early and headed to Huntington Beach for breakfast. I just don’t think it’s right to go to CA and be that close to the beach without actually going to the beach. We had breakfast at Ruby’s Diner which is at the end of the pier, a fairly good distance away from the beach. I’m not a fan of heat, water, or anything dirty, but somehow the beach is still one of my favorite places to be.



The diner is far enough out that it’s past the surfers and in prime pelican viewing area. Last time we were a few feet away from a pelican and although we weren’t quite as lucky this time, we did get to enjoy a lot of them scoping the waters for fish and occasionally diving. I just love the beach. Mr. C and I had eaten at Ruby’s before and I remembered they had amazing shakes. I did pretty well making healthy food choices during our trip but that morning I decided to order a chocolate turtle shake for breakfast. I asked our server if it was too early for a shake and he proudly told me “of course not, it’s never too early for a shake!” That just sealed the deal! My grandma should be so proud. She’s as skinny as a twig but that woman can eat sweets! She’s been known to have desert before dinner, or even instead of dinner! So, I ordered eggs, bacon, toast, and a chocolate turtle shake. Let me tell you, that was one amazing breakfast!



So, as the last CA/Disneyland trip for awhile, I’d say it was a great success. It was especially nice going with my parents for something different. I guess that might seem weird to some people but I (and Mr. C) have a pretty great relationship with my parents. As I’ve gotten older and moved away, I’ve appreciated time with family more than ever. My dad acts like a kid who never grew up and my mom….well she’s just entertaining and loud!

No comments:

Post a Comment