Monday, January 17, 2011

Sunday Groceries


Mr. C and I were almost inseparable from the beginning (after he finally pursued me enough for me to say yes that is!).  We met in college at the dorms and when I walked out the front door of my dorm, his window was directly to my right - meaning that he was very, very close.  This of course meant that games of taping on his window to drive him nuts and scare him, and then running back into the dorm were very fun (for my roommates and I anyhow).   With a few exceptions, we’ve seen each other almost every single day since we started dating.  You’d think I’d be sick of him by now but it looks like that’s no where in sight for awhile.

I had decided early on my freshmen year of college that I would be going back to NE for that first summer.  This was of course before I met Mr. C.  so my feelings and attitude about the summer soon changed once we started dating. I was going home to work and relax (opposites, I know) and it didn’t really seem logical to stay, except that the dramatic freshmen that I was just thought I wouldn’t be able to survive without Mr.C., especially since I had become accustomed to seeing him everyday.  The night before I left for NE, we stayed up all night talking with the idea of spending every last minute together.  The next day my mom, dad, and I piled into the car to drive back to NE.  I think I cried for at least the first few hours.  I’m not sure how they made it through the ride without throwing me out of the car.  Maybe it’s a parent thing.  For the remainder of the summer I missed Mr. C like crazy.  We talked numerous times a day, sometimes just sitting on the phone in silence because we had finally run out of things to say.  I managed to make a trip to AZ at least once for a visit; something my dad wasn’t too crazy about.   I remember feeling like that summer would never end.   Long distance is HARD. 

I can’t even imagine how military wives (or husbands) feel.  A weekend away from Mr. C feels like forever.  In the almost 3 years since we’ve been married, we’ve had 3 weekends apart, all happening over the past 6 months.  I have to say, although the weekends were for very good reasons, I’m not a fan of this being apart thing.  For one, I can’t sleep the same, even without Coconut by my side.  I love how excessively productive I am when I’m alone and being able to do whatever without worrying about someone else, but this feeling soon wears off and then I’m left with a hole, just missing him.  I may sound overly dramatic, which I am known to be sometimes, but it’s crazy to me how much I can miss him when it’s only a few days.  However, these days remind me once again how lucky I am to have met him and to have been smart enough to get him to stick around :)  This weekend I’ve had quite a few moments in which I thought of our normal, routine weekend activities that I’ve come to enjoy.  Dinner and a movie on Friday nights, procrastinating together to avoid whatever homework or productive thing we should be doing on Saturday, and grocery shopping on Sundays may all seem like boring, everyday things but they’re “us”, our everyday things, and I love them.

Although I’ve been missing Mr. C this weekend, I have been very grateful to have my amazing friend Topanga as my bodyguard.  Ok, so she wasn’t really my bodyguard but she was around to keep me company and make sure the monsters in the closet didn’t get me.  Oh, and she was on spider duty!  We spent most of the weekend cooking, eating, watching movies, and talking.  This Saturday was the most relaxing day I’ve had in awhile and it was great, even with missing Mr. C.  It’s amazing how people just pop into your life and at a certain point you can’t remember not knowing them.  I’ve never been the girl with packs of friends, but the ones I do have are very dear to me and I always know they’ve got my back..   I don’t really remember the period where we were just becoming friends but I am very thankful that it happened!

So, although I’ve had a wonderful weekend with a wonderful friend, I’m still counting down the hours until I get my husband back.  I have a feeling that I’ll appreciate next week’s Sunday grocery shopping even more than normal!  I can't wait....

No comments:

Post a Comment