Thursday, January 6, 2011

Resolutionizing for 2011

I’ve never been one much for New Year’s resolutions.  It always seemed crazy to me that because of the date changing from the 31st to the 1st, everyone would dramatically adjust their lives (or say they were going to anyhow).  This year, however, I’m embracing resolutions.  I think it’s not so much that I’m changing dramatically in one day, but rather that I’ve wanted to make changes or have been working on them and now’s the perfect time to acknowledge them and actually make a plan.  After the craziness that is called December passed, I now find myself with more time (until classes start anyhow) and some motivation that needs to be used for something productive so, I figured why not resolutionize?  Don’t you love that word, resolutionize?  In case you aren’t aware, I just came up with that…kinda like revolutionize but not.  I know - that totally cleared it up.

I anticipate this year being one full of changes.   Big, scary, exciting changes.  Overall, 2010 had some great moments but it also had some crappy ones.  This year is going to have TONS of AMAZING moments.  That’s what I’ve decided anyhow and apparently I believe in the power of thinking positive!

My resolutions cover three main categories: Health, Myself, and Relationships. 

Let’s start with health.  I’ve always tried to eat healthy overall but I do tend to take lots of breaks such as when I go out of town, when we have visitors, when we go on road trips, when I get super busy, etc.  In case you haven’t caught on, that’s a lot of “off-time”!  Plus, it usually takes about a week or so to get back on track after those events.  This year I’m going to not only focus on eating better all the time, but I’m also focusing on health overall.  Watch out fitness/health section of my 101 in 1001 list – I’m gonna cross you all out this year!  I’m soooo ready for this!  So, to be specific, this getting healthy resolution consists of:

-Going to bed at a reasonable time.  I like to stay up late so this is a little challenging for me.  I have however found that it’s nice not being exhausted every morning!  Mr. C and I usually go to bed at the same time so this was a group decision and we ended up compromising somewhere around 10-11.  Not too early but not too late.

-Following the Weight Watchers plan.  They actually have a new plan which I LOVE!  I’m ok doing it on my own; I just need to hold myself accountable.  The new plan actually has been working a lot better for me.  I want to emphasize that this is not a diet because it’s not something temporary or drastic.  When I hear the word “diet” I think of some crazy plan which makes you starve yourself or cut out food groups, neither of which is healthy.  In following this plan, I will be cooking more, something I LOVE doing but haven’t always had the time for.  I bought a couple amazing and realistic cookbooks before Christmas and I’m super excited to break them out.  I’ve also committed Sunday afternoons to prepping for the week so weeknights to a little smoother.  Especially with class and extra activities, the weekdays are crazy enough that I could use some prep time!

-Working out more!   I HATE gyms and I don’t think I will ever join one again.  I have a wonderful elliptical machine I need to become a little more friendly with and the Wii has some great tools too (many of which I own!).   I actually LOVE taking walks in the evening too because Coconut gets all crazy when she knows she gets a walk and Mr. C and I get to talk about the little parts of our days so it works out perfectly!  The issue is usually finding the time to do these but I’m scheduling my work-outs on my pretty little calendar and starting out slow.


The second category is myself.  Woohoo, sounds like a fun one.  This part includes most of the things on my 101 list under the personal category.  This year I am going to make more time for myself!   Of course, the healthy lifestyle and cooking fits under this as well.  In general, I want to read more for fun, watch more movies, play more games, and finally finish our wedding and honeymoon scrapbooks!  It would be great to finish those scrapbooks before I have baby books to be working on (and no this is not my way of telling you anything…don’t hold your breath cuz you’ll be waiting awhile!).    So this category really means me being a little less efficient and a little more fun in my personal time!

Lastly - relationships.  I’m not planning on finding a new husband or anything like that.  I really don’t understand how people have the time and energy for that anyhow!  I have my hands full with the one husband I already have.  Plus, I really like having him around!  Anyhow, back to the topic at hand.  I guess with this one I just mean focusing on the important stuff more – more important stuff meaning people.  I don’t watch a ton of TV now but I’m cutting out even more because I really don’t have the time.  Usually I’d end up sleeping less to watch something I didn’t really need to watch!  I think this was my downfall the past few months because I’d sit on the couch and not get up for much longer than planned.  So, I’ve made the conscious decision to not watch much TV.  I still have my favorite things, like “How I Met Your Mother” and “Private Practice” that will remain on my TV radar, but there are quite a few getting cut.  Also falling into this category is spending more quality time with Mr. C.  Sometimes we’re great at this and other times not so much.  At the end of the semester last year I felt like we never really SAW each other but just glanced at each other in-between the madness lol.  In regards to friends, I am not currently the best at staying in touch and although I love talking to long distance friends, it’s hard to find the time to fit that in, especially when I want to have a non-distracted conversation.  Lastly, it’s very hard to fit time in for anything spiritual when that’s left last so obviously that priority needs to change!  This year I’m committing to staying in touch more with far-away friends, spending more time with the loved ones I have close, and building my relationship with God.  Sounds like I have a lot to do!

Let me end with saying that I think people who have kids think that my life is pretty boring and has minimal responsibilities so these resolutions should be no problem because I have TONS of free time.   I’ve encountered many situations where I’ve been told that I should have time for this or that because I don’t currently have children.  This is something that just makes my blood boil because I feel that everyone makes their own choices and their own priorities.  I feel that my life is quite the opposite of boring and minimal in the responsibility area.  I’m sure I have just as many commitments, just different ones.  I do my best at work and give 110%.  I’m involved in activities after work and on weekends.  I juggle four graduate level classes while pushing myself to give all I can.  I devote time to my husband and marriage.  I have a second job as a Lia Sophia advisor.  I maintain close relationships with some wonderful friends.  I care for my puppy like she’s a child.  I keep our house and finances in order.  I love my life, however it frustrates me to be discounted simply because I don't have kids and therefore cannot possibly understand the time constraints that requires.  I beg to differ.   I think that my resolutions will be challenging, time consuming, and very much worth it.  I'm hoping you'll all hold me accountable.  Good luck in your own resolutionizing!

No comments:

Post a Comment