Sunday, January 1, 2017

16 highlights of 2016


I rang in 2016 having just purchased a house we had called home for some time, feeling settled in my job and like I was where I was meant to be, and dreaming of a baby in the new year.

I ring in 2017 slightly tired but feeling blessed.  Our little girl is soundly sleeping in her rocker and my husband is watching the ball drop next to me.  We spent the evening having pizza and playing games with my brother, sister-in-law, and three beautiful nieces. 

I love the end of the year because it’s a time to review the past year and refocus for the new one.  This year has brought so many happy moments along with some heartbreaking ones.  Below are my top 16 moments from 2016.

1. Celebrating an early anniversary in Disneyland with Mr. C.  We got engaged in Disneyland and it’s always held a special place in my heart.  We hadn’t been able to go for a couple years due to my plantar fascitis and all the walking, so we were extra excited about this trip.  We even made it to the San Diego Zoo and the beach.

2. Making our home really ours.  We ripped out the carpet from the bedrooms and replaced it with engineered hardwood that we laid ourselves.  I love the way the floors turned out and I’m so proud of us for doing it ourselves.

3. The moment I saw the positive pregnancy test.  I had taken two tests previously days before and thought I had an early miscarriage due to some other signs.  I was so heartbroken, so when I saw that the test was positive I was in shock, a little anxious, and excited.

4. Sharing our news.  I tried thinking of my favorite reactions but there were too many.  This is actually a bunch of moments and they were all great.

5. Becoming a mother.  I put this separate from the positive test, and separate from the birth because I was Adeline’s mother for 9 months before the birth.  I had a bit of a rough pregnancy but I did what I needed to do for her to be as healthy as possible.   I loved feeling her little kicks, even the kicks to the ribs.  I knew she was fine when she was kicking around in there.

6. Having my best friend visit us in AZ not once but twice.  The first trip was actually the day I took the first pregnancy blood test so I was able to share the news with her in person which was amazing.  We had so much fun with her and I think I spent more time with her in 2016 than I had the past few years combined.  Things are certainly different now and I’m glad we had that time together.

7. Finding out that our baby was a girl.  We had done a genetic test which also told us the gender.  I had thought I would maybe try to wait until I could find out with Mr. C, but I was so excited when I got the call that I couldn’t wait any longer.  I squealed with joy on the phone when I heard the news.   I had always pictured a daughter when I thought about the future and I was beyond thrilled.

8. Meeting so many amazing, supportive people – from the three amazing midwives we worked with, to the doula, to our photographer, to the amazing L & D nurses.  I was sad when I realized I wouldn’t be seeing some of these people again, or very frequently, but I’m so thankful they were a part of our journey.

9. The multiple baby showers.  Two were surprises and two were not.  I still can’t believe I was thrown four showers; I never in my wildest dreams expected that.  They were all amazing and I was, and still am, truly touched by everyone who organized them and showed up to celebrate Baby C.

10. The birth of Adeline.  The birth itself was so empowering and was exactly what I had hoped for.  I went in knowing things could change but also feeling very strongly about certain things.  We had such a supportive group of midwives and a hospital where the natural things we wanted were standard.  I still feel very lucky to have been able to experience things the way I wanted.  When I caught Adeline and pulled her to my chest it was the best version of what I had imagined.

11. So many fun moments with friends.  From my first hockey game, to dinner at the Improv, to a battle of the bands at our church, to dinners and lunches together, there were so many moments spent with friends.

12. Again I’m grouping some things together here – the days I got emails from students thanking me for helping them.  I’m not raking in the money and I didn’t plan this path, but I truly love what I do and I feel like I’m making a difference.  I take pride in my work and love seeing students reach their goals.

13. Spending Thanksgiving with so much family again; my aunt, cousins, uncle, brother-in-law, Mr. C’s grandma, my parents, husband, a couple friends, and of course Adeline.

14. Watching my parents with Adeline.  My mom has always been so supportive in my life and continues to be that way.  She was with me for the birth and although she’s not a baby person generally, she loves holding Adeline and is great at calming her down.  I had different expectations for my dad since he’s not necessarily the mushy type, but he’s surprised me with how much he loves holding her, talking to her, and how concerned he is when she cries.  I am pretty positive he will be spoiling her.

15. Being able to see my grandma hold Adeline. My grandma has been declining healthwise for awhile, and at thanksgiving we really didn’t think she would make it to Christmas.  She did make it though, and although she may not have known who we were or who Adeline was to her, the joy we saw when my grandma held Adeline and her laughter from watching Adeline smile was truly amazing.  I was blessed to get a picture of my grandma, mom, myself, and Adeline – capturing four generations.

16. The last of my top moments has to be the first time I saw Adeline smile, and every smile since.  Her smile and laugh melts my heart and makes me so happy.  If Mr. C is laughing along with her that’s truly the best.

Not on the list, but there were so many smaller moments that are really big.  I really love those quiet nights at home watching a movie or playing backgammon with Mr. C.  Our life is a little different now but some of my favorite moments include an evening with some low lights on, sitting on the couch with Mr. C next to me, something good on the TV, and now Adeline in my arms.

There were certainly some sad moments in 2016.  At 5 weeks pregnant I went to the hospital for bleeding.  I was terrified and worried about losing my baby.  It was at that moment that I really felt like a mom.  I was willing to do whatever was needed to keep my baby safe.  Although it was scary, an amazing friend took me so I wouldn’t be alone.  She kept me calm and made me believe that everything just may be okay (which it clearly was).  I’m so very thankful for her for so many reasons.

I spent a large portion of 2016 not feeling very well with not much to do about it.  I was nauseous for months at the beginning and end of my pregnancy.  I felt like I experienced so many of the not fun things about pregnancy and I dealt with some depression for the first time in a couple years, however I knew it would be worth it.  It was and I’m doing great now.  I recovered quickly, felt back to my old self, and the prenatal depression subsided, but I’d definitely say that pregnancy and my body weren’t too copasetic. 

My grandma has gone downhill and at Thanksgiving I said goodbye to her on the phone.  I could barely get the words out and it tore at my heart.  We’ve been able to see her since being back in Nebraska.  She has her moments where it’s still her, but she’s a shell of the person she was, and I know someday soon she’ll be joining my grandpa in heaven.  It’s hard to see her like this.  I remember playing games with her, the way she’d laugh her deep laugh, and her love of chocolate.

I am looking forward to our new experiences as a family of three in 2017.  I’ve set some new goals for myself and for our family.  I wish you a wonderful start to 2017 and a truly blessed year.  Thank you for being a part of our lives!



1 comment: