Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Spicy Chicken Rigatoni


I got through restaurant phases where I want to eat at the same place EVERY single time we go out.  It drives Mr. C crazy.  Apparently he likes variety or something crazy like that.  Anyhow, after we ordered the Spicy Chicken Rigatoni at Buca di Beppo I was hooked.  I was so excited to find a knock-off recipe on pinterest and I’ve been making it ever since.  It’s cheaper to make at home and I love that I know exactly what’s going into it.  There are peas in the original Buca recipe but I’ve never been a big fan so I leave them out.

You can cook the chicken on the stove, oven, or grill.  Based on my experience, the grilled chicken is by far the best so I’ll have Mr. C grill it the night before and just slice it when I get home from work.  It helps make this a quick weeknight dinner.



Cook the pasta al dente according to the package directions.  Once done drain water, put in a bowl, mix in a little olive oil (about 1 tsp.), and set aside.  The olive oil will prevent the noodles from sticking together while you prep the rest of the meal.

Heat the garlic in a saucepan over medium heat and add the garlic and crushed red peppers.   Sauté until fragrant, about one minute.  Add the chicken and stir until well coated in olive oil mixture. 



Add the marinara sauce, then the alfredo and bring to a simmer.  Cook a few minutes until sauce thickens slightly.   Add salt and pepper, butter (I leave this out frequently and think it tastes great without, the butter just gives it a slightly richer taste) and peas (we aren’t a pea family so these are always omitted at our house).



Remove from heat and add pasta, stirring until noodles are well coated.  The peas would add a bit of color to this dish....  Enjoy!



This usually makes enough for about 6-8 servings.  It’s great for dinner and even better as leftovers for lunch!



Spicy Chicken Rigatoni

6-8 servings

Ingredients
¼ c. olive oil
½ Tb. crushed red peppers (add more if you like it spicier)
dash salt and pepper
1 Tb. garlic, minced
Chicken breasts, grilled (I use 2 -3 chicken cutlets)
1 c. marinara sauce
¾ c. alfredo sauce
2 tsp. butter (can omit this – I usually do since it has plenty of flavor without)
¼ c. peas (if you like that sort of thing)
1 lb. Rigatoni pasta, cooked al dente according to directions

Cook chicken and slice.

Cook pasta al dente and set aside, tossing with olive oil.

Heat the garlic in a saucepan over medium heat and add the garlic and crushed red peppers.   Sauté until fragrant, about one minute.  Add the chicken and stir until well coated in olive oil mixture. 

Add the marinara sauce, then the alfredo and bring to a simmer.  Cook a few minutes until sauce thickens slightly.   Add salt and pepper, butter (optional) and peas (optional).

Remove from heat and add pasta, stirring until noodles are well coated.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment