Friday, June 8, 2012

#87 and Snazzy New Library Card Syndrome


Guess who's got a new library card and another one of the 101 tasks checked off?  It’s ME!!!  Congrats if you guessed right.  Yes, a library card. I realize this sounds super lame since they hand these things out like candy at a parade. Fingerprints aren't required, blood samples (I'd be out if this was the case), a waiting period or even an application fee. We lived about 5 minutes away from a library for over two years and I couldn't ever seem to get myself there though. I added it to my 101 list thinking it would be simple to cross off, something to get me motivated. Over a year later I’m FINALLY crossing this off.

We were on the way to Home Depot for the millionth time (seriously at least twice every. single. weekend. I can't even understand this) when I YELLED "we should get library cards!" Mr. C looked over (he's used to me randomly yelling stuff) to see a very stupid looking grin on my face and without asking questions (he’s learned it’s better not to) turned down the street towards the library. After about 10 minutes I was holding my snazzy new card which of course I just HAD to use immediately. 

I headed over to the computers to search for an amazing book.  At first I blanked out. I couldn't think of any books. Then one popped in my head. I did a quick search only to find out that not only was it not at the library I was but there was a waiting list. Okay, no biggie. I searched again to discover the same problem. I finally found a book that was actually in the library.  It was like winning the lottery.  I wanted to do a cheer but figured that would not be appreciated by the other patrons.  The book was written by one of my favorite authors and although the name sounded familiar the cover did not. I walked myself over to self-checkout and then hurried out to the car to start reading on the way home.  I know, I sound overeager but I was of course suffering from snazzy library card syndrome (which of course is a very real and documented thing).  As I was reading I realized I had indeed read this book before. A month before to be exact.  I have the paperback (I should also mention I have a signed author's copy of the paperback so it's not like I shouldn’t have remembered I had the book...it was a huge deal when I got it). Unfortunately the hard cover looked much different. My stupid grin faded away and I was left sitting in the car with a book I had already read and a snazzy new library card that couldn't get me any books I hadn't yet read and actually wanted. I was too embarrassed to go back inside, face the nice older lady that explained the entire library system to me, and swap my book out.  Plus, although the place was full of books it seemed to not be full of any books I actually wanted to read (like when the fridge is empty because nothing looks good or you have NOTHING to wear even though the closet is jam packed full of clothes).

I proceeded to go home and reserve about a bazillion books online. The entire reservation process is actually quite dangerous; it's like when I discovered ebay. I'd smile every time the message popped up saying I successfully reserved a book. The time it told me I was 40th in line for said reserved book I may have in fact been swearing instead of smiling but that's really beside the point. Now I'm really hoping all of my bazillion reserved books don't become available at the same time. By the time I get any of them I will probably have forgotten or perhaps my excitement will be over by that point. Or, perhaps I'll forget to pick them up and will be charged a $2 for every single one of those bazillion books I was crazy about reserving.

Point of this very long story = if you don’t have a library card you should rush right out and get one, but don’t hold your breath that you’ll be able to get a book you actually want.  If you get a library card today there is a strong possibility that you’ll be able to get a book you want within the next 6 months.  Unfortunately if you live in the Phoenix area I probably already reserved that book in my quest to reserve a bazillion books.  Sorry about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment